Head of Legal
Job Title: Head of Legal
Reports To: CEO
Location: Dublin (but open to someone based remotely, who can commit to being in Dublin as required)
Nature and Scope:
To support Six Nations Rugby / British & Irish Lions senior management, Council and Board, as well as all heads of departments (e.g. Commercial, Operations, Communications, Finance and Digital) on all legal related issues. Commercial acumen and experience in dealing with media and sponsorship in sports will be essential for any interest candidate.
Role & Responsibilities:
Management of the Legal function:
- Provide clear and cost effective legal expertise in relation to all aspects of Six Nations Rugby / British & Irish Lions business;
- Provide legal expertise to the senior management, Heads of departments, Council, and Board of both Six Nations Rugby / British & Irish Lions;
- Manage overall legal annual expenses including any external spend on solicitors’, barristers’ and other legal service providers’ fees; the effective assessment, minimisation, and control of risks to Six Nations Rugby / British & Irish Lions business and operations;
- Manage disputes and litigation to which Six Nations Rugby / British & Irish Lions is a party;
- Formulating and managing a brand protection strategy for both Six Nations Rugby / British & Irish Lions; and
- Ensure compliance with all relevant legislation and regulations including acting as Data Protection Officer for the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
- Developing an effective working relationship with all relevant stakeholders including World Rugby, the Six Nations’ participating unions, EPCR, SANZAAR.
- High level negotiation skills with both suppliers (e.g. external legal advisors) and sponsors / broadcasters / media organisations (new and traditional).
- Provide support to Sr Management and the Commercial team on all commercial contract negotiations, including broadcasting, staging, sponsorship, licensing, tour, travel, hospitality, and tender arrangements;
- Clear understanding of brand protection and trademarking matters and legal considerations, including anti-infringement
- Drafting of all corresponding agreements with clients and various vendors
- Provide adequate legal support to Sr Management and the Operations team on all operational matters of Six Nations tournaments and British & Irish Lions Tours.
- This area will include providing legal support on areas such as tournament operations, discipline, medical & antidoping regulations, procedures, and ensuring they are fully complied with.
- Overseeing and managing legal compliance with regulations and disciplinary process in respect of British & Irish Lions Tours.
- Establishing and developing relationships with legal firms and barristers’ chambers who undertake sports disciplinary work.
Corporate Governance / Company Secretarial Support/Human Resources
- Provide corporate governance strategic advice and support to the senior management of Six Nations Rugby / British & Irish Lions (and their respective Board / Council).
- Provide legal support to the company secretary for the Six Nations Rugby Limited and British & Irish Lions DAC entities and various associated joint ventures and subsidiary companies.
- To be responsible to the Six Nations Council and British & Irish Lions Board for ensuring that relevant procedures are followed, and applicable internal and external rules, regulations and codes of practice are complied with.
- To supervise the meetings of the Six Nations Council and British & Irish Lions Board and members in general meeting.
- Support the Finance Director with strategic and contentious HR issues
- Sound commercial acumen combined with highest professional standards of integrity
- High degree of team work skills knowing how to actively collaborate with colleagues to contribute to the development and delivery of the strategic, business and operational plans of Six Nations Rugby / British & Irish Lions. This will include undertaking such other duties as maybe required from time to time as are consistent with the responsibilities of the post and the needs of the Six Nations Rugby / British & Irish Lions.
- Dynamic, strong, collaborative leader with a desire to get the best out of people and teams.
- Ambitious, innovative and visionary with clear determination and belief and ability to install these qualities in others.
- First rate communication, negotiation and contract drafting skills.
- Creative problem solver and excellent judgement in ambiguous situations.
- Strategic thinker and planner with the ability to draw a wider variety of elements into a common strategy and purpose.
- Excellent influencing skills and the ability to establish, maintain and invest time in a wide variety of internal and external relationships.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex topics and concepts to a diverse audience.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Will have a thorough understanding of how sport and sports rights, and specifically rugby union, are managed and administered.
- Will have significant experience in media rights acquisition, rights negotiation and long form contracting.
- Must have at least 8-10 years’ post qualification legal experience in private practice or in-house, demonstrating a track record of achievement.
- Full professional fluency in English language is a requirement. Fluency in French and/or Italian would be a plus.
- Must be an English law or other EU qualified solicitor/barrister.
- Will have strong academic credentials including a law degree or equivalent from a top law school.
- Will ideally have trained within a leading City or national law firm.
Application & Closing Date
Please send a CV and letter of application stating why you should be considered for the role, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is Monday 25 February 2019