Match Report


Sean Kerr
England continued their strong start to the 2024 U20 Six Nations with a 30-17 victory over Scotland.

Two tries in each half was enough for the visitors, who maintained their unbeaten start to the 2024 Championship.

Craig Wright and Sean Kerr crossed before the break, with the latter's boot also helping England to a 18-0 half-time lead.

Finn Carduff extended the advantage just after the restart but Scotland fought back through Euan McVie and Freddie Douglas either side of a Nathan Michelow try for England.

Geordie Gwynn then went over for Scotland late on but it was not enough to deny the visitors a third win of the campaign.

England started well and were on the scoreboard within four minutes thanks to the boot of Sean Kerr.

Craig Wright snaffled a loose Scottish lineout and provided the platform for the visitors to build and draw the penalty, with Kerr opting for the posts after Michelow almost made full use of the advantage with a break that was halted by Fergus Watson.

The away side were on the front foot immediately after, with some superb scrummaging earning another penalty that quickly turned into a driving maul but Archie McParland’s inventive kick was cut out by Gwynn.

Wright was involved again as England scored their first try with 14 minutes on the clock, with the hooker crashing over from close range after a his own lineout throw was converted into a devastating rolling maul.

Kerr added the extras to give England an early 10-0 lead, but Mark Mapletoft’s men continued to push to extend their lead and Kerr added another three after the hosts were penalised for a deliberate knock-on halfway through the first-half.

Scotland looked to gain a foothold in the contest, full-back Watson beating three defenders to break through the England defence to haul his side into the opposition 22 but they were unable to take full advantage.

Amena Caqusau was then sent to the sin-bin for Scotland as the penalty count mounted, and England were able to make them pay on the half-hour mark.

Ben Redshaw’s break for the corner was eventually stopped but substitute fly-half George Makepeace-Cubitt found Kerr out wide, who showed great feet to finish in the corner but couldn’t add the extras.

Scotland looked to respond and came metres within doing so as Murdoch Lock intercepted a pass and ran the length of the pitch before being sent into touch just before the whitewash.

England held off a late push from their hosts just before the break and started the second half brightly, with their reward coming in the form of a third try inside three minutes.

Good work from a lineout allowed the forwards to go through the phases and captain Carnduff heaved his way over the line before Kerr added the extras to extend the lead to 25-0.

Scotland then deservedly got themselves on the scoresheet 10 minutes after the interval, McVie powering over after the home side piled on the pressure in the England 22, Isaac Coates added the conversion.

But the visitors hit back almost immediately and secured a bonus point as Michelow burrowed over after Afolabi Fasogbon was initially held up.

Yet Scotland refused to be down and out and notched their second try 15 minutes from time, Freddie Douglas going over from the back of a rolling maul.